October 11, 2007 -- Able Newsflash No.88

Care News

Commission for Social Care Inspection (CSCI) has published the new rules under which they will inspect care homes for older people, care homes for adults, domiciliary care, nurses agencies and adult placement schemes.

The new rules will rely on outcomes for service users and aims to put decision making with people being cared for and their relatives. They will be used from January 2008.

The system of star ratings for organisations providing the care will also be introduced in 2008.

The new intended outcomes for the Standards are laid out on CSCI website and if you visit:
http://www.csci.org.uk/about_csci/news/new_outcome_descriptions_and_r.aspxyou can find the details.

Claimar Care Group has made its largest acquisition to date. It has paid �33.1 million in shares and cash for Shropshire based Complete Care Holdings which offers services to adults and children with severe disabilities.

NICE (The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence) has issued updated guidance on the early care of adults and children with head injuries.

For further information go to:

In-House News

Potential new clients have been visited in Berkshire, Nottinghamshire and Cheltenham.

Reviews and re-assessment have taken place in Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire and in the West Midlands.

A meeting has been held with Social Services in Carmarthenshire.

Care Worker Spiwe Mongo has successfully complete her NVQ 2

A new post has commenced in Nottinghamshire. Male suffering with MS. Care Manager Alan Wilson. Salary �547.00pw inc.

Potential care worker interviews have taken place in Norwich and Norfolk.

Interesting Information

The latest figures from Laing and Buisson advise that there are 420,000 elderly or disabled people in residential care homes.

Question asked in November 2004:

Question - I think my health situation qualifies me to register as a disabled person as I understand I can then claim some benefits for myself. Can you tell me how I register as a disabled person?

Answer - You can register as a disabled person with your local council. They have a statutory duty to keep records of disabled people in their area in order to allow councils to plan appropriate services. The council may then check with your GP to seek verification of your disability. Once you are registered you can then receive some concessions as a disabled person such as reduced public transport fares. Being registered as disabled will also stand as proof when applying for discounts from non council services/facilities e.g. British Rail Discount Card

Apology : In a recent Gazette we gave the telephone number for enquiries re the Attendance Allowance incorrectly. We gave the Advisors number instead of the number for the general public to make contact with. The number for fresh claims is 0800 88 22 00 and to re-instate a claim the number is 0845 7123456

We hope you have enjoyed reading this and "see you next week".

Best Wishes,
Angela Gifford, Proprietor
Able Community Care.