August 16, 2007 -- Able Newsflash No.80

Care News

The recruitment of care workers is difficult as quite simply there are not enough to go round in the present climate. As a result of this the care industry is relying on care workers from overseas.

The difficulty of carrying out appropriate checks on credentials and in many cases, obtaining documentation, is a time consuming business. Fake documents are rampant and many are excellent forgeries. Recently, a new website has been set up to try and help.

The site takes employers step by step through the procedure for checking that job applicants are entitled to work in the UK, including explanations of acceptable documentation.

Able Community Care is able to send potential applicant documentation and details to our local Immigration office, but for employers who do not have that facility this site may be of help.

The Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain is the professional and regulatory body for pharmacists in England, Scotland and Wales.

It is raising concerns to both the Department of Health and the Department for Education and Skills about an EU Directive which would allow EU pharmacists to practice in the UK without being registered.

In-House News

Carers' team meetings have been held in Bedfordshire.

Reviews, risk assessments and team meetings have been held in Gloucestershire.

A new post has been started in Suffolk: frail elderly lady age 74. Salary � inc. Care Manager Jackie Maasz.

Able Community Care has been accepted as an Approved Provider of live-in care services by East Sussex County Council.

Interesting Information

Chris Stanley, Head of Policy and Research for Nacro, the crime reduction charity, with reference to CRB checks and the over reaction of some sectors placing unrealistic values on the notion of the CRB system, advises that, "the public should bear in mind that 1 in 4 adults has a criminal record".

6.4 million people currently have private medical insurance.

Question answered by Able Community Care in January 2006:

Question - I am in my eighties and still fit and well apart from the embarrassing problem of often needing the toilet when I am out. In my local town this is not a problem as I know where the toilets are, but in other places less well known to me, I am in a constant state of worry until I can find out where the toilets are located.

A friend has told me that she thinks there is a card which I can get which will allow me to use toilets which are not normally available to the public, such as in a small shop, which has the facilities for their staff only. Do you know anything about this?

Answer - The Continence Foundation can supply you with a card, credit card size, for you to carry which carries the following request; "Urgent, the holder of this card has a medical condition and needs to use a toilet quickly. Please can you help?"

The idea is that should you need to use a toilet urgently, then showing this to people working in shops or elsewhere will enable you to use their toilet facilities.

To get an "Urgent" card, send a stamped, addressed envelope to The Continence Foundation, "Urgent Card", 307 Hatton Square, 16 Baldwin Gardens, London. EC1N 7RJ

There is no charge for this card but donations are always gratefully received as The Foundation is a registered charity.

We hope you have enjoyed reading this and "see you next week".

Best Wishes,
Angela Gifford, Proprietor
Able Community Care.