August 09, 2012 -- Able Newsflash No.334

UK News

At the present time Direct Payments only apply to people in receipt of community care. The Law Commission recommends expanding the system to those who choose to move into residential care.

Local authorities will be identified to test this new initiative in a small number of areas. For further details you can read the White Paper published in July titled: Caring for our future: reforming care and support. Visit:

According to the latest industry data, alcohol producers are on track to deliver their pledge to provide health information on 80% of alcohol labels on UK shelves by the end of December 2013.

Under the Government’s public health responsibility deal, alcohol producers have volunteered to feature three elements of health-related advisory information on product labels by the end of December 2013. These elements are the unit content, the Chief Medical Officers’ sensible drinking guidelines and a warning about alcohol and pregnancy.
(Source: Portman Group)

Bereavement Benefit Review - At present there are 3 non means tested Benefits available if your husband/ wife/ civil partner dies – Bereavement Payment, Widows Parents Allowance and Bereavement Benefit. Is it expected that changes to this system will probably come in after the next election.

The new Bereavement Payment is expected to be set at around £9,800 for a bereaved spouse or civil partner with children and £4,300 for those without children and will be paid in a lump sum, followed by instalments over 12 months. The payments will also be disregarded from Universal Credit and the Benefit Cap for a period of 12 months.

? ? ? Question of the Week ? ? ?

"I understand that as a registered disabled person I am able to claim the vat back on some continence products I buy. However, I feel a little embarrassed at asking my local chemist/supermarket what I have to do to ask them to take off the vat. I understand that there is a form that I can complete and handover each time I make a purchase, which will be much less embarrassing for me. Where can I get a copy of this form?"

Answer : Normally the seller of the goods will have the declaration form and will just ask you to complete it. However, a copy of this form, VAT Notice 701/7, can be downloaded from the HMRC website at
See page 24 of 29 of the form.

Interesting Information / Statistics

Last month Age UK revealed that 220,000 people age 60+ fractured bones as a result of a fall. More than 88,000 were fractured hips, 43,000 had fractures of the arm and almost 17,000 people fractured their pelvis.

A Department of Health funded survey has found that eggs are far more wholesome than in the 1980’s. Eggs in 2012 have less saturated fat, less calories and have twice as much vitamin D.

In House

If you enjoy reading this please forward it to anyone else who may also find it of interest. They can also subscribe for their own weekly copy from our website:

Best Wishes,
Angela Gifford, Director
Able Community Care Ltd.

hit counter

Back to Back Issues Page