November 10, 2011 -- Able Newsflash No.296

Care News

From January 2012 a new charity comes into being: Disability Rights UK.

The new charity is made up of three former charities: The National Centre for Independent Living, Radar and the Disability Alliance.

People who are denied continuing healthcare funding by the NHS can appeal. The figures made public show that more people appealed in 2010/11 than in 2009/10. In actual numbers there were 757 appeals in 2009/10 and 825 in 2010/11.

It takes three years to train a Paramedic and many of these posts are being axed under the NHS cuts.

Emergency Care Assistants, ECA’s, who have only basic first aid training were introduced four years ago to ease the burden on Paramedics by taking patients to hospital, driving ambulances etc. In an article in the Daily Telegraph, research has shown that many ECA’s are responding to 999 emergency calls instead of Paramedics. To read the full article visit the online Daily Telegraph of 7th November. Title of article: 'Emergency Care assistants replace paramedics for 999 calls as cuts hit ambulance trusts’.

In-House News

Potential clients have been visited this week in Suffolk and Devon.

Client reviews have taken place in Hertfordshire and Essex.

Charlene, Risk Assessment Manager, has attended a “Supervision Workshop’ run by Norfolk County Council.

A new post has commenced in Bedfordshire for an older lady needing support. Care Manager is Sam, wage is £582.00pw inc.

Able Community Care gave a presentation at a Norfolk Businessmen’s meeting this week.

Interesting Information / Statistics

101 is the number to call when you want to contact your local police - when it's less urgent than 999. It is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. 101 will be available across all areas of England and Wales by the end of January 2012.

Personal Health Budgets are a mystery to many but a 13 page, easy to read booklet titled ‘Understanding personal health budgets’ is available from DH Publications free of charge.

To order your copy visit ( The code for the booklet is 292457

Question of the Week
"I have a disabled daughter who is thinking about having a family. She lives in a very rural area, her husband is out at work all day and I am concerned about how she will cope with a baby. Are there any organisations which could advise her or will she need to contact Social Services?"

Answer : In the first instance you or your daughter might like to contact the charity Disabled Parents Network. (DPN) is a national organisation for disabled people who are parents or who hope to become parents and their families, friends and supporters.

The charity is for all parents with a disability or long term health challenge. The charity will help disabled parent families to access appropriate support and knowledge.

Contact details are: Tel 0300 3300 639 or visit their web site at (

We hope you have enjoyed reading this and "see you next week".

Best Wishes,
Angela Gifford, Director
Able Community Care Ltd.

hit counter

Back to Back Issues Page