April 28, 2011 -- Able Newsflash No.268

Care News

The chairman of Southern Cross, Ray Miles, has resigned. Southern Cross which provides care to approx 37,000 care home residents announced last month that it was in financial difficulties. Currently a re-structuring plan is in place to remedy the situation. (A request for short term financial help from the Treasury was rejected).

Grandparents are to be given rights to see their grandchildren. Around 50% of grandparents loose touch with their grandchildren and the Family Justice Review is seeking to address this situation.

In a previous edition we mentioned that the CQC will no longer be the body which will handle complaints about the care a person is receiving not happy with and feels that the care agency/home has not resolved the issue to their satisfaction.

Complaints will now be made to the Local Government Ombudsman (LGO) in the Council area in which you live.

This week we have received the first instructions from one LGO department giving details of how and when a complaint can be made.

These instructions are based on the 2009 regulations that currently apply to local authorities and the NHS. They appear to be straightforward but will cause additional administrative work to begin with.

We are hoping that other authorities will run to the same format and not, �re-invent the wheel� as happened with the approved provider process in the late 1990�s when as a national provider, we had to accommodate the individually chosen specifications of differing councils.

In-House News

Prospective clients have been visited in Surrey, Somerset and Norfolk.

Potential carer interviews have taken place in Norfolk and Somerset.

A new post has commenced in Norfolk for a gentleman with MS. Care Manager is Jackie and the weekly wage is �669.00pw inc.

Interesting Information / Statistics

625,000 people suffer mental and physical ill health as a direct consequence of the stress and physical demands of caring.

1.25 million people provide over 50 hours of care per week.
(Source: Carers UK)

Question of the Week
"I am an older lady with no relatives living in the UK. I would like some independent advice about my future care needs. I am disabled, do not have access to regular transport and would therefore really like someone who would visit me at home. Is this possible and would the service be free or of low cost?"

Answer : Throughout the UK there are Advocacy Services to assist older people make informed choices about their care needs and about other aspects of their lives. These organisations give a free, independent and confidential service with people who have been recruited and trained as advocates. To find where they are available in your area ring your local Council and they will give you the contact details.

We hope you have enjoyed reading this and "see you next week".

Best Wishes,
Angela Gifford, Proprietor
Able Community Care.