January 27, 2011 -- Able Newsflash No.255

Care News

It is being considered that The Disability Living Allowance (DLA) will be replaced by a new benefit The Personal Independence Payment. There is a Consultation process currently being held with reference to asking for views on this proposed change. The Government is asking for disability organisations and disabled people plus anyone else who has a view to make these views known.

For further information go to http://www.dwp.gov.uk

Further Local Authorities have announced job cuts this week and the GMB Union says the number has reached 125,000. Jobs cuts and other cuts relevant to Council Services will impact across all of the care sector.

The organisation �Which?� has been taking a look at community care and has announced the following details:

Tower Hamlets and Newham provide free home care for people with critical and substantial needs whilst across the Thames residents of Lambeth are paying up to �17.67 for their home care per hour.

Local Authorities can place their own financial cap on the maximum amount of money people can be charged for care. Two examples given are that people in Barnsley have their care contributions capped at �60 per week whilst those in Brighton could be charged up to �850.00pw.

In-House News

Client monitoring visits took place this week in Suffolk, Norfolk and Hertfordshire.

A potential client received a visit in Norfolk.

Carer interview and training took place in Norwich.

A �Cooks Day� took place as part of our fund raising for Macmillan Nursing. Marmalade and quiches were ordered and sold.

Interesting Information / Statistics

The WRVS have approximately 2000 volunteers who run regular trolley rounds in hospital wards and residential homes bringing refreshments, books and shopping.

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) - DSAs are grants to help meet the extra course costs students can face as a direct result of a disability, ongoing health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty. They help disabled people to study in higher education on an equal basis with other students. They are paid on top of the standard student finance package and don't have to be paid back. The amount you get depends on the type of extra help you need - not on your household income.

Question of the Week
"I used to take clothing that I did not want to a charity shop but now I am unable to get there and they have been piling up for a couple of years. Recently I have had several bags left on my doorstep for clothes collection for charity. I filled one up and it was not collected and a neighbour said they were probably not a real charity. How can I check if the bags are from a genuine charity as I would like to use this method as it is very convenient for me?"

Answer : Trading Standards advise that there are several bogus �charity� organisations and usually in the very small print on the bag it does say that they are a commercial organisation.. Unfortunately these organisations deprive genuine charities of this form of income. If you wish to make sure that you are giving your unwanted clothing to a genuine charity you can check them out by telephoning the Charities Commission Helpline on 0870 333 0123. Alternatively you can visit the Charity Commission website at http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk to see if any charity is registered.

We hope you have enjoyed reading this and "see you next week".

Best Wishes,
Angela Gifford, Proprietor
Able Community Care.