January 20, 2011 -- Able Newsflash No.254

Care News

A report by The Norfolk Coalition of Disabled People advises that as many as 100,000 disabled people and their families will face a reduction in their living standards by a third due to the combined effects of the government�s taxation, welfare changes and the cuts in service planned by Norfolk County Council.

Other cuts which are taking place in some areas cover the withdrawal of specialised transport provision and meals on wheels services. The suggestions have been made that alternative services could be used such as public transport, taxis services or other community transport schemes. One Council suggested that buying frozen meals in the supermarket gave more choice and better value. It made no mention as to how the former recipients of Meals on Wheels should get to the supermarket to do such food shopping.

In an effort to help pay for front line services Brent Council increased the price of burial plots by �220 to �2,140 for residents and by �331 to �3,615 for non residents. Cremation plots have also increased.
(Source: London Evening Standard)

Cambridge - Housing chiefs have scrapped a scheme to charge disabled tenants for aids and adaptations, but have denied their plans were ever illegal.

After a meeting of the Housing Management Board at the Guildhall in Cambridge, recommendations were passed to withdraw the controversial scheme agreed in February last year, which would have forced some residents to pay for maintenance of equipment such as specialised baths and toilets.

The final decision came after the city council and its legal team discussed fears that the charges may in fact be unlawful.
(Source: Cambridge News)

In-House News

Potential clients were visited last week in Suffolk, Norfolk and Hertfordshire.

Re-assessments of client care needs took place in Lincolnshire and Kent.

The Gazette for January/February is now available by request to: Ablemg@aol.com

Interesting Information / Statistics

Question of the Week
"My elderly uncle has died and his home was the home of his Mother and Father. I have been left the home and I have been asked to find the title deeds to the home but so far I have not been able to. What will I do if I am unable to find them?"

Answer : Contact your local Land Registry Office and explain the problem to them. If the house has been registered for a fee of �6.00 you can obtain a copy of the document.

However, not all homes are registered, especially if they are older houses and have not been sold for many years. If the house is not registered you will need to change this situation by establishing that you have a right to the property and register it accordingly. The Land Registry will give you assistance and guidance to do this.

Stair lifts - There are in the UK companies which rent out stair lifts. The rental contract will include maintenance and a 24 hour call out system. There is usually an installation charge which covers both the fitting and removing of the stair lift, guide of around �350 for a basic model and then the average monthly cost is around �10.00 pw.

There are almost 90,000 people registered as having either a stroke or transient ischemic attack in London, and this group grows by approximately 3,500 people every year.

Sign of the times? I recently enquired of a multi branch, home care agency if they could provide two hours care per day for a relative. The answer was that they were sorry but no as they were not taking on anything less than five hours a day. We hope you have enjoyed reading this and "see you next week".

Best Wishes,
Angela Gifford, Proprietor
Able Community Care.