January 13, 2011 -- Able Newsflash No.253

Care News

The Comprehensive Spending Review is having an impact on many areas of home care. As a company we have been asked to try and reduce the cost of some home care packages, have had a client re-assessed as to their care needs and last week we had notification from one County Council that they are suspending the Approved Provider Process for Home Support Services and this will not be re-commenced in the 2010/11 financial year.

The future of the Independent Living Fund (ILF) has been announced. The fund is to close by 2015. The fund which was set up in 1988 provides funds for more than 20,000 disabled people to live independently in their own home.

The problems associated with the reality of who will provide care for older people is a worldwide problem. China has come up with an interesting proposal which is that they are considering making it a legal duty for people to provide their aging parents with care either because of mental or physical ill health. In addition, the proposal mentions that it may become a legal duty for people to visit their aged parents.
(Source: BBC World)

In-House News

A potential client visit has taken place in Suffolk.

Sadly one of our clients died this week. Continuous, live-in care cover had been provided to Quentin since 1998.

Able Community Care is sponsoring Macmillan Nursing in Norfolk for 2011. It is our intention to raise in excess of �1000 'in house' during the year.

Interesting Information / Statistics

Every five hours a person dies as a result of a fall in their home and in addition approx. 36,000 serious injuries are incurred. Falls are most common in people who are over the age of 75 years. The cost to the NHS as a result of falls is estimated to be �15m per year.

About 60% of adults with learning disabilities live with their families.

Question of the Week
"My teenage son is disabled and has a problem with reference to his educational needs. We are trying to help him but can not get any clear advice as to the best way to do this. Perhaps we are contacting the wrong people and would therefore like to ask if you can point us in any direction?"

Answer : I would contact the Disability Law Service who can provide help and information with reference to Further and Higher Education.

They may also be able to offer to your son a caseworker and other support if necessary.

Their helpline telephone number is 020 7791 9800, email address advice@dis.org.uk and their website is http://www.dls.org.uk

Other areas in which the Disability Law Service can offer help are:

We hope you have enjoyed reading this and "see you next week".

Best Wishes,
Angela Gifford, Proprietor
Able Community Care.