October 14, 2010 -- Able Newsflash No.241

Care News

Although we currently appear to have a reduction in the number of illegal immigrants sending in application forms to become an Able Community Care live-in care worker there are still news stories in the papers of care workers who are found to be working and do not have the right to either work in the UK or to be here.

Since 27 January 1997, employers have had a duty to check that all new employees are entitled to work in the United Kingdom. This check gives them a defence against conviction or an excuse against payment of a civil penalty if they are later found to have employed an illegal migrant worker. The law on preventing illegal migrant working has occasionally been revised since then, most recently and notably on 29 February 2008.

The checks that employers should make (or have made) to ensure that their employees are entitled to work in the United Kingdom depend on the initial employment date of each individual. The following page provides details of the appropriate checks for employees according to the date when they are (or were) recruited:

This information comes from the UK Border Agency's website and to obtain the necessary information and additional help go to their home page at: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk

The date of the coalition Spending Review is 20th October and many bodies/quangos are expected to be abolished or have their remit changed in the Review.

Amongst those that have relevance to the care of people that may be abolished are:

And those under review are:

In-House News

Client Review meeting has taken place in Nottinghamshire.

Manual Handling training has taken place in our Norwich office.

A new post has commenced in West Sussex for an elderly gentleman. Care Manager is Sarah, weekly wage �495.00 inc.

Interesting Information / Statistics

Electricity and gas suppliers are not allowed to disconnect households that consist only of people aged over 60 between 1st October and 31st March.

Question of the Week
"I email you from the USA to ask if you can help. I have an aunt who is elderly and lives in a rural area of England. I am her only relative and though I try to visit annually I know she is lonely as most of her friends have passed on. Are there organisations who could perhaps telephone her on a regular basis or visit her occasionally?"

Answer : There are both befriending services where people visit on a social basis and can as part of this, arrange social activity for the person if they wish. There are also organisations that will make regular phone calls and establish a relationship with your Aunt in this manner. For information in the first instance I would suggest contacting Counsel and Care, website: http://www.counselandcare.org.uk who will be able to help you with further information.

Charities that accept postage stamps that they can sell and bring in additional revenue are:

For information as to how to get your used postage stamps to them, either look up each charity online or ask a telephone directory company for their telephone number.

We hope you have enjoyed reading this and "see you next week".

Best Wishes,
Angela Gifford, Proprietor
Able Community Care.