March 26, 2009 -- Able Newsflash No.161

Care News

On 17th March the EU failed to secure a breakthrough in respective of revising limits to "working time".

The proposed changes can be debated until May, but if a deal is not reached the draft law will be scrapped.

The UK wishes to maintain the opt out which it has allowing UK workers to work more than a minimum 48 hour working week if they wish.

The UK stand is supported by other member states which include Germany, Poland, Estonia and Bulgaria. A total of 15 member states currently apply opt outs to the 48 hour working week, some with reference to specific industries only, e.g. healthcare.

Registration of care staff which was meant to be implemented by October 2009 has been put back to November 2010.

Registering of new care staff is expected to actually begin in July of that year with the process becoming mandatory in the November.

In-House News

The company provided a guest speaker at a business meeting in Norwich this week.

Arrangements for fire inspection safety visits have now been arranged on behalf of our clients in Norfolk, Suffolk, Middlesex and Lincolnshire.

Team meetings have been held in London.

Client reviews have taken place in Portsmouth, Norwich and Luton.

Mandy Gulatar, Manager for the South-West, attended a Brokerage Meeting in Devon and a Fire Safety Awareness course.

A new post has commenced in Devon for a lady of 101 years. Care Manager is Sarah Wright on 01603 281915. Salary if �535.00pw inc.

Bouquets have been sent to clients living in Norfolk, Surrey, Derbyshire and Essex.

Interesting Information / Statistics

Question of the Week
"I am registered as disabled and I do get the higher rate mobility component of the DLA but I have a car of my own, not a Motability car. Can I claim a free road tax disc?"

Answer : You may be entitled to a free tax disc if you're a disabled person who gets the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (or the War Pensioners Mobility Supplement).

To claim the exemption the vehicle must be registered in your name or registered in the name of someone you nominate to drive for you (a nominee). The vehicle must only be used for your purposes, for example shopping or getting prescriptions.

Before you can get a free tax disc, you'll need to apply for an exemption certificate from the agency that issues your benefit. The exemption certificate will show your name and that of the nominee if you have nominated someone to drive for you.

If you claim the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance you need to contact the Disability Living Allowance Unit and ask for exemption certificate DLA 404. Contact details are:

Disability Living Allowance Unit
Warbreck House
Warbreck Hill
Blackpool FY2 0YE
Telephone: 0845 712 3456

(If you claim the War Pensioners Mobility Supplement the contact details are:

Service Personnel and Veterans Agency
Lancashire FY5 3GZ
(Ask for exemption certificate WPA 442.)
Telephone: 0800 169 2277)

The brain can distinguish between 10 million colours

Six out of ten children born in Britain today will live beyond the age of seventy five years. A century ago the figure would have been less than two out of ten.

If you would like to receive a copy of our current brochure with details of the Live-in Care Services we provide, please email to

We hope you have enjoyed reading this and "see you next week".

Best Wishes,
Angela Gifford, Proprietor
Able Community Care.