February 19, 2009 -- Able Newsflash No.156

Care News

Many care agencies supply temporary workers and currently charge VAT on the commission element of their supply rather than on the whole cost of supplying the care worker.

However, from April this year this concession is being withdrawn and it means that VAT will now be chargeable on the total cost of the temporary worker i.e. the wage, PAYE and NIC, etc.

The cost of some care will therefore increase from this April.

Which? questioned over 2,600 English adults about their dental situation and found that 8% had tried to carry out their own dental work. People admitted trying to remove a tooth with pliers or using the "old" method of tying a piece of string to the tooth and then to a door handle! People had tried whitening their teeth with household cleaning products, filling a hole or sticking back a crown with glue, popping ulcers with a pin and sticking down loose teeth with chewing gum.

In-House News

Potential clients have been visited in Suffolk, Hertfordshire and Devon.

Client reviews have taken place in London, County Durham, Lancashire, West Midlands, Tyne and Wear.

New posts have commenced in;

Interesting Information / Statistics

More than 27,000 people logged on to the NHS24 website over the Christmas and New Year period. This is an increase of more than 100% on 2007.

For the quarter ending 31st December 2008, 97.5% of patients spent 4 hours or less from arrival to admission/transfer/discharge in Accident and Emergency.

Question of the Week
"I am registered as disabled and have lived in my present home for several years. I now wish to buy a bungalow nearer to my brother, which is in a different county. My present home is adapted for my personal needs but the home I purchase near my brother is not likely to be. Is there any financial help I can get to make the adaptations I need?"

Answer : If the home you move to needs to be adapted to meet your needs you can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant from your new local council. An Occupational Therapist will come and do an assessment on the property you are considering buying in order to advise you in advance whether you are eligible for a grant and whether the bungalow is considered suitable for adaptation. It may also be possible, to take some items such as stair lifts or bath hoists with you if they are considered suitable for your new home.

The amount you may be able to claim will be based on a financial assessment. The maximum grant that a council is allowed to pay is �30,000.

We hope you have enjoyed reading this and "see you next week".

Best Wishes,
Angela Gifford, Proprietor
Able Community Care.