December 04, 2008 -- Able Newsflash No.147

Care News

Carers UK in conjunction with Help the Aged and Counsel and Care have issued a postcard addressed to "Mr Brown" advising him that the social care system is on the brink of collapse. According to the above organisations "a shocking 80 per cent of those who need home care do not receive it from the state".

To try to bring attention to this situation people who are concerned are being asked to join the "Right care Right deal" campaign. If you would like further details please go to:

An analysis of Government figures has shown 10 areas where more than 40 per cent of the workforce is employed in the public sector. The areas include Wansbeck (five miles from Morpeth), Hastings, Caredigion in West Wales and Inverclyde, west of Glasgow.
(Source: Telegraph

Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults � Indepedent Safeguarding Authority (ISA): next step in transition to new Vetting and Barring Scheme. The manner in which the new ISA, Independent Safeguarding Authority will work is contained in the above information which can be downloaded from the following website:

The document gives details of the key benefits, key messages for employers, what will actually change from the present system and what does not change.

In-House News

Prospective clients have been visited in Dorset, Lancashire, Nottinghamshire, Surrey, Norfolk and Devon.

Judith Tye attended a Care providers/Social Services meeting with Norfolk County Council last week.

A new post has commenced in Bedfordshire for a gentleman in his fifties requiring care because of a brain injury. Care Manager is Jackie Maasz. 01603 281914 Weekly wage is �603.00 inc.

This week one of our clients Mrs E. died. She died at home aged 99 years. Mrs E had been in receipt of a continuous, live-in care service from Able Community Care since 2000.

Interesting Information

Conferences coming up in the next few weeks:Question of the Week
"If I believe that an elderly person I know is being abused by a member of her family, what should I do and what happens then?"

Answer : If you are concerned that any form of abuse is happening you need to do one of the following:

You can phone your local Adult Social Services/Care office in your area and talk to them about your concerns.

If you think the abuse is also a crime then talk to your local police.

In other situations of abuse, such as in a care home or abuse from a staff member of a care agency or other regulated services, you can contact the Commission for Social Care Inspection (number in the phone book).

Your concerns will be investigated and you will be advised as to the progress of the investigation and the decision that is finally reached with respect to your reporting your concern.

We hope you have enjoyed reading this and "see you next week".

Best Wishes,
Angela Gifford, Proprietor
Able Community Care.