August 07, 2008 -- Able Newsflash No.130

Care News

In 2007, 763 million prescriptions were dispensed in primary care, with 392 million paper prescriptions written or printed. These prescriptions, signed usually by a GP were then taken to a chemist, community pharmacy, etc and then on to an agency for re-imbursement. Prescriptions volumes are currently rising at 5% per year.

The DOH is therefore considering provision of electronic prescriptions which can be used by both NHS staff and patients. Electronic prescription trials have already been carried out, evaluated and have been found to be technically viable.

POVA � Kings College London, Social Care Workforce Research Unit have produced a report on POVA to date, (based on a sample of 300 referrals)

Some of the findings are as follows:

Further information can be found from the DOH website.

In-House News

Three new staff members have joined Able Community Care:Visits to potential clients have taken place in London, Suffolk, Gloucestershire and Somerset.

Reviews have taken place in South Wales.

Advertisements for carers have been placed in: Cornwall � local newspaper and The Womans Weekly.

Interesting Information

A few weeks back we reported on the Anglian Water study that took place in a residential home in Bury St Edmunds. The study called Health on Tap promoted a campaign within the home to encourage the residents to drink more water a day. The result of the study over a six month period resulted in fewer falls, fewer urinary infections, fewer GP call out visits, a 50% reduction in the residents taking laxatives and an improved quality of life for many of the residents. e.g. sleeping through the night.

Anglian Water are happy for organisations to use their materials re this study for further use. You can download their documents from High resolution files can also be made available for re-production purposes.

Question asked of Able Community Care this week

"Am I entitled to any help to get a new central heating boiler. I am disabled and in receipt of benefits."

Answer : If you live in the UK and your boiler will not provide you with any heat this winter, if you are registered as disabled and on benefits, contact your local council social services team who will advise you as to how to obtain possible help.

We hope you have enjoyed reading this and "see you next week".

Best Wishes,
Angela Gifford, Proprietor
Able Community Care.