July 03, 2008 -- Able Newsflash No.125

Care News

Independent support brokers, of which there are around 100 in England, help the public to navigate the complex system of care packages and the financial arrangements around them. This number is expected to grow. A report by the National Development Team titled Custom and Control, which was funded by the Department of Health has recommended that brokers should not be employed by care agencies and councils and that funding should come directly from people�s individual budget. The NDT felt that there was very little clarity about the role of the brokers. To read the full report go to: http://www.communitycare.co.uk/brokerreport



Asda Supermarkets will fine any motorist who parks in a disabled parking bay without displaying a blue badge, �60.00. In 2007 abuse of the parking spaces ran at around 23% of cars parked. In a recent survey, since the fine came in, the abuse had dropped to 3%. Fine money is donated to charity by Asda.



Under the NHS Review commissioned by Gordon Brown this week, the promise is that elderly people and people who are terminally ill will get the right to choose to die at home instead of in hospital. New teams of specialist nurses will facilitate the arrangements for patients facing death. This is one of several pledges set out under the NHS reforms published this week.

In-House News

Potential clients were visited last week in The Channel Islands and in Norfolk.

A new post has commenced in Dumfries and Galloway for a lady with MS. Care Manager Alan Wilson 01603 281916. Salary �608.00 pw.inc.

Care Manager Jackie Maasz has a new post in Lincolnshire caring for a lady with MS and her 14 year old son. Salary is �598.00 inc. call 01603 281914 for further details.

A care review has taken place in Manchester.

Risk assessments and Manual Handling Training visits were carried out in Birmingham, Coventry, Stockport and Louth.

Interesting Information

Marie Curie Cancer Care employs more than 2,700 nurses, doctors and other health care professionals. In 2008 it expects to provide care to approximately 27,000 terminally ill patients in the community and within it�s hospices, of which there are ten. Approx. 70% of the Marie Curie income is from individuals, business and membership organisations with the other 30% of funds coming from the NHS.



In 2006 the estimated number of foreign-born people employed in the care-related sector was 240,000. It is thought that approximately 105,000 were working as care assistants and home carers.

Question asked of Able Community Care last week:
"Having retired at the age of sixty five I would like to become a blood donor. However, a friend has said that I am now too old, am I?"

Answer : The lower age limit is 17 years and the upper age limit is 70 years of age.

We hope you have enjoyed reading this and "see you next week".

Best Wishes,
Angela Gifford, Proprietor
Able Community Care.