June 26, 2008 -- Able Newsflash No.124

Care News

Many people buy in their care as personal budget holders but to date have been rather passed by when it comes to opportunities to train their care staff. Skills for Care have published a training code for personal budget holders who want to buy in training for their staff. The code offers practical advice to micro-employers to help them draw up effective training plans for personal assistants, guidance on how to put the plan into action and how to monitor their care staff as they progress towards a qualification. For further details go to: http://www.skillsforcare.org.uk

Hounslow Council has been ordered to pay �100,000 compensation in the first ruling to hold a local authority responsible for protecting vulnerable adults as well as children.

A couple, who both have a learning difficulty, were abused in their home by a gang who had befriended them. For further details visit Mencap at http://www.mencap.org.uk

In-House News

A potential new client has been visited in Buckinghamshire.

Reviews, monitoring visits, risk assessments have been carried out in Berkshire, Cambridgeshire, Surrey and London.

Interviews for potential live-in carers have been held in Staffordshire, North Wales and Norwich.

Carer Priscilla Moyo has successfully completed her NVQ2.

A new post has commenced in South Wales. A young man with MD. Care Manager Sam Clark on 01603 281918. Salary �628.00pw inc.

Advertisements for potential carers have been placed in: Woman�s Weekly Summer Special, Berwick Advertiser, Stirling Advertiser, Dorset Echo, Portsmouth News, Central Somerset Gazette, East Anglian Daily Times, Bristol Evening Post, Eastern Daily Press and the West Country News.

Interesting Information

Approximately 85,000 people in the UK have Multiple Sclerosis. About twice as many women as men are affected.

From 1st April 2007 � 29th April 2008 there were eight urgent and 16 non-urgent de-registrations of care homes for older people.
(Source: Hansard)

Question asked of Able Community Care in May 2007
"My uncle is housebound and I have noticed over the past few months that his teeth are getting loose and this is affecting the food he is able to eat. He cannot remember where or when he last went to see a dentist and is of the opinion that because his newspaper tells him that NHS dentists are in short supply, he will not be able to obtain treatment. Will this be the case?"

Answer : The Community Dental Service is in place to provide dental treatment, on an NHS basis for people who require dental care yet are unable to access the service. People who are housebound are eligible. The address and telephone number of your local contact can be found by ringing NHS Direct 0845 606 46 47 or by telephoning your local Primary Care Trust (PCT) number will be in your local telephone book.

We hope you have enjoyed reading this and "see you next week".

Best Wishes,
Angela Gifford, Proprietor
Able Community Care.