April 10, 2008 -- Able Newsflash No.113

Care News

The Home Office has announced that from 12th October 2009 individuals will need to register with the Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA) if they are to work or volunteer with children and or vulnerable adults in a regulated capacity.

The cost for an individual to apply to register with the ISA will be a one-off, lifetime fee of �64.00. It will be possible to check an individuals ISA registration status online or as part of an Enhanced CRB check.

New weekly financial rates from 6th April 2008 for:

Scottish Care at Home Annual Conference takes place in Glasgow on 16th May. For further information email: admin@scahonline.org.uk

In-House News

Team meetings, risk assessments, and MH training took place in London, Coventry and Birmingham.

Chris attended The Care Show in Bournemouth.

Angela attended a 2 day residential course provided by the UK Trade and Investment Department.

A new post has commenced in Devon a gentleman with MD. Care manager is Nick Turrell 01603 281915. Salary �641.00pw inc.

Interesting Information

The Language Line allows people to call the Stroke Helpline and to have their call transferred to a person who is likely to be able to speak their language. This is because the Stroke Association has 170 languages available within their Information Officers service. The Stroke Helpline Information Officer will talk directly to the person calling with Language Line�s interpreter listening and translating as the conversation develops. For further details visit the website at: http://www.languageling.co.uk
(Source: Stroke News)

Despite the growth of private meal delivery companies, local County Council meals-on-wheels schemes deliver 40 million meals every year to 200,000 people in the UK.

Age Concern research has shown that 58% of people in their 50�s and 60�s who are currently working wish to work in some capacity beyond the retirement age. 24% of this group fear that they do not have adequate pensions savings and a further 21% will continue to work as they do not believe the State Pension will provide them with sufficient income in later years.

Question asked of Able Community Care April 2008-04-07

"Please can you tell me who is eligible to use the Hospital Car Service and is it free?"

Answer : Throughout the country there may be local variations as to eligibility but generally speaking the following criteria will apply:

The cars should have their charges displayed in the vehicle which you must pay if you have ordered it from a Patient Transport Enquiry Line (if you have not been given the number the hospital you are visiting will give the number to you if you call the switchboard). Booking requests should normally be made at least 48 hours before you need to attend the appointment.

Further details, such as information if you have to cancel the car, etc. will be given to you at the time of booking.

We hope you have enjoyed reading this and "see you next week".

Best Wishes,
Angela Gifford, Proprietor
Able Community Care.