Care Questions : Article 61Care Questions : Article 61

Your Care Questions Answered by Angela Gifford - ARTICLE No.61

"I think my Father would benefit from having a wheelchair. I understand that he could get one free of charge rather than going to a shop and buying one, is this correct?"

Answer : Under The National Health Service Act 1997 anyone who has a permanent mobility problem is entitled to a free, long – term loan of a wheelchair from the NHS. You need therefore to contact your Father’s GP who will then refer him on to the NHS Wheelchair Service. In relation to other pieces of equipment or home adaptations under the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970 a local authority has a statutory responsibility to help people maintain their independence and safety.

"Having retired at the age of sixty five I would like to become a blood donor. However, a friend has said that I am now too old, am I?"

Answer : The lower age limit is 17 years and the upper age limit is 70 years of age.

"Is it mandatory for taxi drivers to have a Criminal Records Check (CRB) check?"

Answer : All licensed taxi drivers who apply for permission to operate in a local authority area and have the Council license details on their cab, will have been CRB checked. It is a mandatory requirement. However, for taxi drivers who are unlicensed by the statutory body of a Council, it is likely that they will not have applied for the CRB check.

"My Mother is in her eighties and has no savings. Her home is rented. I am worried that when she dies I will not have enough money to pay for her funeral. I currently receive state benefits and want to know at such a time would there be any help available?"

Answer : If you cannot afford to pay for a funeral for your Mother there may be help available in the form of a Funeral Payment.

For further information visit and search for "Get help covering funeral costs (form SF200)".

This site will guide you through so you will know what to do when sadly your Mother dies.

"I am 57 years of age and I am sure I read somewhere that I can get free eye tests. However, I cannot find where I read the information and people I asked say it is only when you reach the age of sixty. What are the criteria please?"

Answer : The following comes from the Directgov website:

Most health treatment under the NHS (National Health Service) is free, although there can be charges for some things. If you're over 60, you're entitled to free prescriptions and sight tests under the NHS. If you're over 50, you can also get a free sight test if you meet certain conditions:

"I am aged 74 and a few months and I need a new television licence. However, I understand that when I am 75 I will be entitled to a free one. So do I have to pay for a whole year or is there a reduction?"

Answer : You can apply for a short-term licence to cover the months until you reach 75 years of age.