Care Questions : Article 59Care Questions : Article 59

Your Care Questions Answered by Angela Gifford - ARTICLE No.59

"How do you register a death and who can do so?"

Answer : When a person dies the death usually has to be registered within five days. (Scotland is eight days).

If a person dies in a house or a hospital the death can be registered by:

Deaths that occurred anywhere else can be registered by:To register a death in England and Wales you have to go to your local Register Office. The process should take only about half an hour.

The documents you will need to take to register the death are:

Questions that you will be asked at the time of registration are:

"What health problems do you have to declare to the DVLA?"

Answer : The DVLA needs to know if a person suffers from, epilepsy, fits or blackouts, repeated attacks of sudden disabling giddiness or dizziness that prevents a person from functioning normally and many more health situations.

For a full list you can obtain from the DVLA their booklet What You Need To Know About Driving Licenses (Code for booklet is D100). The telephone number of your local office will be in the telephone book for your area.

"I try to eat healthily but I am not sure about exactly what a portion of fruit or vegetables is (reference the five a day we are advised to eat)."

Answer : The following information is taken from a Sainsbury’s leaflet called Healthy Balance. They give the following guidelines as to how much one portion of fruit and vegetables are.


Small fruits: 2 plums, 2 Satsuma’s, 2 kiwi fruit, 3 apricots, 7 strawberries, 2 handfuls of raspberries and 1 handful of blackberries.
Medium fruits: 1 apple, 1 banana, 1 pear, 1 orange, 2 halves of canned peaches.
Large fruits: ½ a grapefruit, 2 inches of sliced lemon.
Dried fruit: 1 heaped tablespoon.
Fruit juice only counts as one potion no matter how much you have.


3 heaped tablespoons of carrots, peas or sweetcorn.
5 fresh spears of asparagus, ½ a pepper, 1 corn on the cob, 8 Brussels sprouts, 2 whole canned tomatoes or 1 medium fresh tomato.
3 heaped tablespoons of canned beans or pulses.
8 cauliflower florets.
1 cereal bowl of mixed salad and one 150ml glass of 100% veg. juice.

"If I am driving on the public highway, can I be stopped by the police and asked to take an eye sight test there and then?"

Answer : Yes, the police are allowed to stop a driver and test their eyesight if they have reason to suspect that the driver cannot meet the legal standards required for driving.

There is a potential fine of £1000 for driving with uncorrected defective vision as an offence will have been committed. Drivers should be able to read a number plate from a distance of 20.5 metres which is about 5 car lengths. If a driver is asked to do this and cannot meet the standard not only has an offence been committed but their insurance may be invalidated.

"I have arthritis and find air travel quite painful because the space between the seats and the seats themselves are narrow. Are all airlines the same?"

Answer : No, airlines have differing specifications and the only way to ensure that you have a more comfortable journey is to ring several airlines at the time you are thinking of travelling and then buy a ticker accordingly. For example on an Easyjet plane you may find a leg room of 29inches and a seat width of 17.5 inches a little cramped in comparison with for example Virgin Atlantic who have planes with a seat width of 17.5 inches but leg room of 32 inches. Both of these examples are Economy Class seating.