Care Questions : Article 40Care Questions : Article 40

Your Care Questions Answered by Angela Gifford - ARTICLE No.40

"I live in the South West but my remaining elderly parent lives in the West Midlands. He has recently been diagnosed with a liver disease but he is not forthcoming when I try to find out more details from him. I would like to get more information but do not have access to the internet.

Are there any support organisations that I could contact for information and help?"

Answer : The British Liver Trust is the organisation you need to contact. Liver disease covers a range of individual diseases/problems that attack the liver and they can advise you about the one your parent has. They have support groups across the country, leaflets, newsletters and welcome contact from individuals. You can call them on 0870 770 8028 or write to them at The British Liver Trust, 2 Southampton Road, Ringwood. BH24 1HY.

"My brother is very frail and finds it increasingly difficult to manage. There are certain items of furniture that would make his life a little easier but he is not well off and will not spend the small amount of savings he actually has.

During his working life he spent time in the army and worked for many years in a foundry. A friend has suggested that he may be eligible for some financial help from organisations relating to his working life. Can you suggest where I might start looking?"

Answer : In order to find out if your brother has any eligibility for a grant or other support you could contact the Association of Charity Officers. Although this Association does not offer any financial help, its members are charities, which possibly can, if the criteria are met for a particular association. The Association has over 200 members who can provide financial help, practical assistance and advice for people in need. The Help line number is 01707 651777.

Many funds are linked to particular trades and professions while others serve those with a specific condition or disability. Some are national and others local. The help they offer takes many forms - financial grants, debt counselling, sheltered housing, residential accommodation or nursing home care, advice about statutory benefits, special equipment, counselling, help or care at home. In fact help in just about any imaginable and imaginative way. When you contact the help line you will need the following information: area of residence; place of birth; family background and responsibilities; career and work history; service in the armed forces; past or present membership of a trade union or professional association; religious affiliations. This will help them to connect you with the most appropriate charity.

The Help line service is available Monday to Friday 10.00am to 4.00pm.

"My granddaughter is age 14 and has poor sight. She is very interested in cooking and I would like to get her some large print, cookery books. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any. Do you know if any are available and where I can purchase one or two?"

Answer : If you have access to the Internet (or know someone who has) go to Search for "large print cookery books" and you will have a choice of 10-15 to choose from. Order online and they will be with you within a few days.

"I run a small club for disabled people. Several of the members are brought and returned home by taxi. I have no reason to doubt any of the drivers but would like to ask if taxi drivers are automatically CRB checked."

Answer : For a taxi driver to get a hackney or private licence, they must have a CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) check. However, this can be at a Standard level.

The Standard check contains details of all convictions held on the Police National Computer (PNC) including current and 'spent' convictions as well as details of any cautions, reprimands or final warnings.

However, an Enhanced CRB check is available to those who are likely to be regularly in sole charge of passengers aged under 18 or vulnerable adults.

This level involves an additional level of check to those carried out for the Standard CRB check - a check on local police records. Where local police records contain additional information that may be relevant to the post the applicant is being considered for, the Chief Officer of police may release information for inclusion in an Enhanced check.