Care Questions : Article 36Care Questions : Article 36

Your Care Questions Answered by Angela Gifford - ARTICLE No.36

"I wish to take my eighty year old Mother for a weeks holiday in a hotel not too far from her home. However, she has an elderly spaniel, which she is adamant she will not put into kennels but must bring with her. Do you know of any hotels that take pets?"

Answer : This website, has a large database of pet friendly hotels. You enter the county or towns where you would like to stay and the site will provide you with details of the accommodation in the area you choose.

It may be a good idea to ring the hotel and get first hand knowledge of the accommodation, facilities, etc first hand although you can book online.

"My Aunt is in a residential care home and until quite recently, the residents would gather in the lounge to watch a film on the video. Along with coffee and cake it made Friday evening a social event as some residents visitors came as well.

My Aunt has now been told, along with the other residents that this has to discontinue but that they can watch the film in their own rooms if they have a recorder. Why is this?

Answer : Entertainment such as video or DVD films are sold as "home entertainment", something for you literally to watch at home.

If you show a film on video or DVD in a public place, such as the communal lounge of a residential home, then the showing of the film is interpreted as a "public performance" and infringes the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1998.

Watching a film in a resident's own room, in other words in their home, is deemed therefore to be home use.

"I have reached the age of 60 and understand that I can apply for a Concessionary Bus Pass. I have various relatives who live in nearby counties and although I drive, will I be able to travel for free if I choose to take the bus system? Also, what documentation do I have to show in order to obtain a pass?"

Answer : From April 1st 2006 the concessionary fares scheme will allow, as a legal minimum, free travel for all over 60s, (plus disabled people who also qualify), from 9.30am within their District Council boundary. However, some District Councils have chosen, as they are allowed to under the Government remit, to top up their concessionary schemes, either by giving vouchers or extending the scheme in order to have one scheme across a whole county.

Crossing county borders for free will probably apply only in instances where the journey either starts or finishes in either the district boundary or, if the scheme is extended countywide, in the county.

For more information call your local council for exact details of the scheme in the area in where you live.

In order to show that you are legally entitled to a pass you will need to show one or more of the following items:

  1. Proof of age - driving licence, passport or birth certificate.
  2. Proof of address - recent utility bill

"My sister has recently become wheelchair dependent for outings outside of her home and a couple of times we have been caught in the rain. Her grip is poor and holding an umbrella for any length of time is not an option. Do you know if it is possible to buy an umbrella especially for a wheelchair?

Answer : Mobility South West is a Newton Abbot based company who will be able to help you. They sell an umbrella, which is attached to a wheelchair by a clamp that is easy to put on or take off. It has a flexible arm that can be positioned to the angle you want and it can also be used as a sunshade in the summer. The telephone number of the company is 0845 6444296 and the reference number of the umbrella is SX-WB. It currently retails for £14.98.

News... Each week Able Community Care publishes an email Newsflash. It contains information on such topics as the latest domiciliary care news, facts and figures re carer's pay, costs of care, relevant legislation/directives and statistics concerning elderly and disabled people.

If you would like to receive a copy in your email inbox every Thursday morning please subscribe using one of the subscribe boxes on this page.