Care Questions : Article 26Care Questions : Article 26

Your Care Questions Answered by Angela Gifford - ARTICLE No.26

"I am age eighty one years of age and I wish to go to go on a coach holiday to Austria. I am having some trouble getting travel insurance because of my age. Do you have any suggestions where I could try to get some cover?"

Answer : Travel insurance for older people is difficult and can be expensive to buy. However, if you consider the cost of repatriation if you should have an accident and were not insured, the cost usually justifies itself.

Help the Aged tailor insurance for people over the age of fifty years and there is no maximum age limit. For a no-obligation quote you can call them free on 0800 41 31 80. The lines are open Monday to Friday between 8.00am to 8.00pm and 9.00am to 5.00pm on Saturdays.

"My husband, who is disabled, and I live in a rural area but we do have a car to travel about in. I am trying to find some social activity centre where we can both go and spend some enjoyable leisure time rather than me dropping him off at a disabled club and picking him up later or staying and just being a sort of helper. Do you know of any clubs or associations that might be suitable?"

Answer : Phab clubs offer the opportunity for both able and disabled people to get together, enjoy each others company in mutually enjoyable activities. Each club, and there are about 200 clubs throughout the UK, is run by its members and organises its own activities, such as events, meetings, holidays, training programs, etc. To find out details of clubs in the South West email Sandy Pyke: or telephone 01278 785543.

"Who qualifies for a bus pass other than people over the age of sixty?"

Answer : Bus Passes, who qualifies and whether it is free or not, can vary in differing parts of the UK.

Generally, you are eligible for a pass if your circumstances cover one or more of the following: if you are over sixty years of age; if you are blind or partially sighted; if you are deaf; without speech or if you suffer from a disability which has a long term effect on your ability to walk; if you have learning disabilities; if you are unable to drive on medical grounds, if you do not have arms or have lost the uses of your arms on a long term basis.

You are also eligible for a pass if you are a nominated travelling companion for a severely disabled person who has a pass.

The passes are usually issued by your local council so contact them to obtain further details.

"My husband is a pensioner, is blind and needs to be cared for at all times. I am younger, in good health and his carer. Do you know of any holiday hotels for blind people where they can go with a sighted person? I would like us to have a holiday where I can safely leave him for a couple of hours whilst I go round the local shops for example, something he does not like doing."

Answer : The organisation Action for Blind People have four hotels specifically for visually impaired people, their families and friends. They are located in the Lake District, Somerset, Devon and West Sussex. For further details please contact them on 020 7635 4800.


This year Able Community Care is celebrating its Silver Jubilee and is marking this anniversary by supporting various charities. Also as part of the celebrations we are holding a competition for informal carers who are caring for someone over the age of 18 years.

The prize is a three night break (DBB) in a hotel plus travel for yourself and one other person whilst we care for your loved one at home. There are six prizes to be won, two for carers in England, two in Wales and two in Scotland. If you would like an entry form to complete please ring 01603 766462 and we will be happy to send one to you.

Competition closes on 31st October 2005. Prizes to be taken in the Spring 2006.


In the previous Article 25 there was a question on Council Tax. Unfortunately, due to a typing error the word "not" was missed out which meant the information was incorrect.

The sentence should have read "If you are in receipt of the guarantee credit part of Pension Credit you will get all your Council Tax paid. However, this is not automatic, you will have to claim your exemption. If you do not get the guarantee credit part of Pension Credit and have savings in excess of £16,000 you are not eligible". This has now been corrected and we apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.